Monday, February 25, 2008

A Great And Terrible Flu

It must never be said of me when I die, that I was patient and graceful in sickness…that I never complained and bore my infirmities with dignity. In truth, I’m NO picnic when I’m ill. In fact I’m down-right, pathetically difficult. Sickness is, and has always been, a terribly hard thing for me to go through. This is not something I’m proud of, but it is the truth nonetheless. So needless to say, the past 5 days of dealing with the flu has been anything but pleasant. And not only was I sick, but Lydia and Jack were as well. I swear, every time Jack coughed, I wanted to cry. And his fever broke my heart. As much as I HATE being sick, I HATE HATE watching my kiddies be sick. So I’ve spent many hours in bed. Most of this time has been spent rocking back and forth (my coping mechanism), and just giving into the misery that is the flu. But there were moments when I actually started to think about how lucky I was. So this little post is dedicated to blessings that come to light during sickness.
  1. I’m soooo happy that I can be sick in a comfortable home and a comfortable bed with a comfortable down comforter.
  2. I’m grateful, beyond words, that Paul is such an amazing man. He totally took over as Mister Mom, which with 2 sick kids is not an easy feat. When I woke up Sunday morning, I woke up to a sparkling clean living room and kitchen. WOW!!! He is my hero on so many levels!
  3. I’m grateful for my sweet parents and their constant concern. I’m grateful for the amazing meal they brought in on Saturday night. By the way, the mangos from Costco are like biting into the Caribbean itself. Yummmy! It’s amazing how the simple acts of service mean so very much when you’re not feeling well.
  4. I’m grateful for potpourri. Paul made a batch of it and boiled it on the stove. It was very nice!
  5. I’m grateful for the morning (this morning) that you wake up and realize you’re on the mend. I’m grateful that I can breath through my nose. I’m grateful that every joint in my body is not aching! I’m grateful that I’m not freezing cold and goosebumpy, or sweating buckets, just waiting for the cycle to repeat itself. I’m grateful that I can walk up the stairs and not feel winded! I’m grateful that my head doesn’t feel like a bowling ball. Aghhhhhhhhhh, the beauty of health. How much more I appreciate it right after sickness!
  6. And in the end, even though there were times I wanted to die, and was afraid that I just might live (tee hee)…I’m grateful that I’m alive and have such an amazing, complicated body.

12 comments:

~Nikki said...

AMEN SISTAH!!!

Bless you and yer wee family! I'm glad you're all on the mend, whew. So sorry you had to endure this GLEEFUL time of mortality ;) (tee hee)
xoxox

Dedee said...

Glad you are feeling better. I'm so sorry that you got it!

Call me when you are feeling up so we can get together.

disneyking said...

Another huge Amen!

I think you and I are the Clarks that hate being sick more than anything else. But your post was soo sweet! I'm going to try and take some of your great advice to heart next time I fall ill. I've never had those type of thoughts before but as I read your words I thought... 'yup.. I need to be more like Bange'
Sure love you and I'm glad you are feeling better.
HERE'S TO SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!
And for all you winter lovers out there.... WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?????

Stacy said...

Can you believe this flu going around? I've never seen anything like it. After all your gratefulness, I hope I don't spoil it by telling you that it lingers for a long time. We have had it in our family for over a month now and Zander and I just keep getting kinda better and then falling ill again. I have just been functioning like it doesn't exist, I mean what else can I do? I know a lot of people that have had lingering coughs from it. So bulk up on the Vitamin C!

Anonymous said...

Ang,
I am a bonified blog stalker...I stole this off of your parents who I stole off of Nikki....hee hee hee. I am so sad you are sick. Hope you are feeling better soon. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Grandma Kappy said...

You and Ryan don't have a corner on the market. I'm a miserable sick person. You rock and I moan. Dad asked if it really helped to moan and I honestly beieve it does.

Thank you for the wonderful advice. I'll try to remember it next time the bug hits.

Daddy Doozer said...

Sweetness...you don't remember, but we do--as you endured sickness, pain and great discomfort, and a healing of your tiny body that we would have cowered over had we gone through it ourselves. You were brave, fearless, and deeply patient. And you were highly comforted by your Mommy's touch and the sound of her voice. What ever you are called upon to go through health-wise with flu and colds is NOTHING compared to that time when, as a tiny baby, you faced and embraced with great strength the most difficult of surgeries to face a wee one. Remember...we do. Welcome back to the world of the living! Sickness is totally...sick!

Daddy Doozer said...

Sweetness...you don't remember, but we do--as you endured sickness, pain and great discomfort, and a healing of your tiny body that we would have cowered over had we gone through it ourselves. You were brave, fearless, and deeply patient. And you were highly comforted by your Mommy's touch and the sound of her voice. What ever you are called upon to go through health-wise with flu and colds is NOTHING compared to that time when, as a tiny baby, you faced and embraced with great strength the most difficult of surgeries to face a wee one. Remember...we do. Welcome back to the world of the living! Sickness is totally...sick!

Daddy Doozer said...

How the hell did I get on here twice? Might help if I knew what I was doing!

Fox Family said...

Angela,
So sorry to hear that you have been sick! I hope that you are all on the mend! Did you see the sun out today? Maybe that will help get rid of these bugs that are floating around!

wind runner said...

I'm sooo sorry Angie! I wish I could have been there to watch your kids and bring you dinner. Take it real easy for a couple weeks or it will come right back and land you in bed again...especially a nursing Mama! It does linger...but if you move slow it will mend faster. And by now you're just grateful to move at all without feeling like you're going to die! I love you!!! You are not a wimp! I am a very very wimpy sick person. Ted literally said to me at one point, "You're not going to die." He's not very sympathetic:) Let's talk soon!

Amy said...

Like your sister, you are an inspiration to me! I NEVER would have thought to be grateful for ANYTHING during the flu! Thanks for showing me a better way. You are great. I miss V.T. with you!!! Let's get together and play after this flu season is finally over! P.S. I stole your site off your sister's site and decided to comment! Hee hee!